RIP Hunter

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In Defense of a book about Anti-Heroes


In Defense of a book about Anti-Heroes
or What the bloggers don't want you to know about Red Hood and the Outlaws.

An open response to Michele Lee and Laura Hudson

Let me try to impose a few sober and calm facts to what is rapidly becoming a lynch mob. The title in question, Red Hood and the Outlaws is not Rated for 7 year olds...It is populated by a sex-positive violent alien, a former Heroin Junkie, and a resurrected former Robin that is a psychopath. No where on the cover does it reference or resemble the Titans Cartoon, and I have no idea why the Blog author would have purchased a child this book when Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and Batwoman were all available. Since it is clear many of you don't actually read comics let me linger for a second on that last title, Batwoman is Kate Kane, an angry Jewish lesbian that was kicked out of the military under "Don't ask, Don't tell" and now she fights crime....fully covered from head to toe...only her mouth and chin are uncovered. Lt. Dan Choi worked with author Greg Rucka to ensure the accuracy of the story, and JH Williams III's art it breathtaking. If you get a minute to put down your torches and pitchforks I suggest picking up a copy of Elegy to see just how committed DC is to telling amazing stories, even ones about girls (shocking I know).

Now back to Starfire aka Princess Koriand'r of Tameran, a violent warrior race that does not value sentimentality or romance. Oh, also she was sold into slavery by her sister, so you can see how authors have been righting her with "Daddy issues" when it comes to intimacy.
The fact that she has no memory of her past as a Titian is clearly a plot point that will be dealt with if people would give the book more than the first 22 pages to lay out the plot. As far as her sexy purple metal bikini...well, that has changed very little in the last 30 years since her character was created by Perez and Wolfman back in 1980.

In closing I ask only this, Please stop. Stop listing to bloggers that are only looking to generate controversy and get themselves hits, Ms. Hudson of Comics Alliance is a perfect example. Her blog is tripe, it ignores canon and history. It picks and chooses specific panels to forward her agenda and then she "Fox News" her opinion like it is factual. The blog listed above was not written the day after the comic came out, in fact it came out after Comics Alliance had already gotten 200X the normal traffic for her post. So, please stop protesting things based on specious information from bias sources. I am not even asking you to buy the comics, but don't try to denigrate them if you haven't even read them.

Thank you for you time and attention.


TL,DR
not rated for 7 yos
not a titans book
Starfire was always sexy and wore a metal bikini
Girls looking for positive rolemodels can read books like
Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, and Batgirl.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Apologies for the off-topic comment, but I couldn't find a contact email for you.

    I've recently put out an ebook of my writing, called 'The New Death and others'. It's mostly short stories, with some obvious gamer-interest material. For example I have a story inspired by OD&D elves, as well as poems which retell Robert E Howard's King Kull story 'The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune' and HP Lovecraft's 'Under the Pyramids'.

    I was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a review on your blog.

    If so, please let me know your email, and what file format is easiest for you, and I'll send you a free copy. You can email me (news@apolitical.info) or reply to this thread.

    You can download a sample from the ebook's page on Smashwords:

    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/92126

    I'll also link to your review from my blog.

    Yours,
    James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Joel Houston
    JHouston791@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually make no good point. You are only repeating some phrases from the net, and none of those phrases were good argument.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While, you are a year and a half late with your poorly formatted criticism. I assure you that I have decades of time with these characters and wrote this during the first days of the discussion, I was not parroting anyone.

      Delete